Monday, July 11, 2016

A Creative Jumpstart - My Homemade Business Cards


Hello my peeps!  Miss me?  No?  Well, do me a favor, humor me & tell me yes, ok?  :-)  

I haven't been very creatively inclined in the last few weeks since I totaled my beloved Outback which, in all honesty, I would have kept for the rest of my life, & had to got through the process of finding a new car.  Now that that's all squared away, I'm trying to get back on track.  As a jump start, I decided that I'd make myself some business cards for next weekend when I travel to The Queen's Ink in Savage, MD to take classes with one of my favorite artists, Finnabair.  I absolutely adore her work - it's so interesting & highly textured, always so much to see.  I cannot wait to absorb everything I can from her.

Now, I could have bought some cards, but first - what am I going to do with 500 cards?  And second - where's the fun in that?  I don't need many & it's a lot more fun & satisfying to make my own.  So, I started with some scraps off of a couple of manila file folders.  
First pass was to stamp the scraps using my Colorbox inks.  I love them for their vibrant & fast drying colors. 
Pretty much a mess right now, right?  Yeah, this is no place to stop & dull, dull, DULL!  Can't be havin' none of that!

Next up - stencils - lots & lots of stencils with lots & lots of paint.  As usual, the only paints I'm using are the Art Alchemy Metallique paints.  I love everything about them - the rich colors, the texture, the sheen.  See how gorgeous they are?
Ok, still not what you'd call a work of art - in fact they pretty much look like a muddled mess.  But a funny think happens when you cut them down.  Take a look...
Far more visually interesting now, right?

That was fun so I thought I'd try again, but started by painting the file folder cut downs with black gesso first.  I actually like these better & I almost didn't want to cut them up.
I think these came out really well.


And for the finale - drum roll, please - TA-DA!
I will grant you that these aren't the most professional looking cards, but I'm happy with them. Each one is unique & making them myself makes them special in a way that having them printed would never have been which means something to me.

So, what do you think?  I'm rather partial to the darker cards, but what about you?






No comments:

Post a Comment