Sunday, May 15, 2016

The Banishment of Boring Beige

For months, I kept looking over & seeing my beige filing cabinet in my studio.  Beige - is there any worse color than beige?  If black is the absence of  all color, then beige is the a absence of all personality.  My idea of hell is a world where everything is beige - well, one version of it anyway.  Can you tell I feel a little strongly on the subject?  So what was I doing with a beige filing cabinet in, of all places, my studio?  It was wrong...just so very wrong...

The first thing I did was spray paint it red.

filing cabinet, upcycle, stamp, stencil, paint, creativity, art, art studio


The color came out brighter than I thought & wasn't exactly what I was looking for.  I also did a horrible job, partly because I didn't know what I was doing & partly because I didn't have the patience to figure out how to do the job right before I started.  That was ok though because I was pretty certain I wasn't going to be happy with just throwing a coat of paint on it.

Next, I pulled out my currently favorite stamp - the death's head moth.  This stamp is so cool - can you see the little skull?
filing cabinet, deaths head moth, paint, stencil, stamp, art, creativity, art studio
 I got a whole squadron of moths going on, but I felt like it was still lacking.

Now, I'm not a big fan of subtly in my art - I like a lot of color & texture.  I also like the grungy look - lots of drips, drops, splatters, seemingly random marks  - so I got out more paint & more stamps, a stencil or two & a lot more color.  I spent the morning bringing some personality to my deadly dull filing cabinet & dancing around to some good, ole vintage rock 'n roll (which was not vintage when I first heard it) - AD/DC, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Boston, Kansas, Cheap Trick, Foreigner.  Ahh, the classics!  Art & awesome music - sheer bliss & I was a very happy soul!

filing cabinet, upcycle, paint, create, art, stamp, stencil, deaths head moth



And this is where it ended - at least for now.  Much, much better & something that looks like it might actually belong in an artist's studio.

So, what do you think?  Vast improvement or something that makes your eyes cross when you look at it?



No comments:

Post a Comment