Saturday, May 7, 2016

Adventures in Vintage

So, a lot of what I do in my art involves "repurposing" items - you know, using things in ways they were never intended.  I've always got my eye out & am picking things up off the street if something looks interesting & has good texture.  Yeah, I know, ick - that's why we have soap & water, people.  I know I look like a crazy person doing it, but, hey, check the blog title.

Today I did not pick anything up off the street (only because I didn't see anything worth picking up), but I did go to a local vintage market & came home with some awesome items.  The moment I laid eyes on these chairs, I heard them screaming "TAKE US HOME!!!" (again, blog title).

 Now, I'm not touching these chairs - they are absolutely perfect in every way & have found their forever home in my kitchen.  Aren't they gorgeous?


 I immediately knew what I wanted to do with the wings. You'll be seeing them again, but in a whole new way. I promise it won't be in the way you imagined either.  :-)


This clock is in bad repair, but I think it's still really cool.




Inside it's stamped "J.L. Cobb & Company Clock Manufacturers, 18 Maiden Lane, New York."  I haven't been able to find any information on it yet, but I am curious.  I'd like to know a little more about it before I go taking it apart so if you have any information, I'd love to hear from you.  I have no intention of trying to have it repaired, but I just know that it must have all sorts of gears that will delight my little steampunk heart - it's going to be like Christmas in May when I open this baby up!

I don't have any clear idea what I'm going to do with the rest of my bootie - all I can tell you is that it will have absolutely nothing to do with what it was intended for...

No comments:

Post a Comment